Monday, February 20, 2012

Banana Factory!


Over the weekend I went and observed the beautiful exhibits at the Banana Factory.  Having only been in the Factory once, I was overtaken by the wealth of resources and opportunity this facility has.  Out of all of the exhibits that lined the halls and graced the floors, I enjoyed the Banko Family Room Gallery on the first floor the best.  This gallery showcased local artists, many of them still in high school.  Needless to say, I was extremely impressed by the work and the talent in the area. 

For as long as I can remember I have been fascinated with people.  I have always loved to look at paintings, drawings, and photography that display people.  I find that people are so unique and I love to see what beauty the artist brings out in the person.  When I was in London this summer, I spent hours in the Victoria and Albert museum just contemplatively studying the handiwork of the artists of the time.  I love to see what they look like, think about what the subjects might have felt, and examine their clothing (or lack of) choices from the time period.  This exhibit focused heavily on people, especially portraits.  And not only were they just beautiful drawings or paintings of silhouettes or facial features, but they were creatively constructed – complete with textures and innovative color patterns. 

I truly admire many of the paintings in the exhibit, for that is a medium I have never been able to try and come up with something decent.  I think understanding color is such a magnificent gift, and I wish that I had it.  Out of all of the artwork it would hard to pick just one to be my favorite – but if I had to pick, I would have to say that my favorite would be Candice Carroll’s Retrospect.  It is a beautifully large painting of a girl with large eyes and a blonde bob.  I loved the soft colors she used and the vibrant expression of the woman she painted.  According to the exhibit she is a graduate of the Visual Arts Department, and her age is not listed.  However, I think that her painting is magnificent and really captured my attention upon walking in.  I also liked the painting entitled My Sketchbook, which is featured on the brochure for the exhibit.  I love the creativity in the piece and how it provides insight to her sketchbook.  It reminded me a lot of Gulliver’s Travels with all of the “little people”.  Not to mention, I really loved the brushstrokes she used which really helped bring the painting to life.



Overall, my experience at the Banana Factory was relaxing and extremely enjoyable.  I wish I had more time to partake in some of these classes.  I’d love to get my creative juices flowing in this way!   I can really see how this institution is such an asset to the SouthSide and how it clearly adds to the overall culture of Bethlehem.

No comments:

Post a Comment